Hi there and Happy Monday! I hope you had a fabulous weekend! Today we are concluding our series on avoiding GMO foods like the plague, and why it is so important to do so. I wanted to end our discussion with a list of the top 10 GMO foods to avoid (really, we should be avoiding all of them, but these top 10 are the most prevalent) and how to do so.
This information is taken from the Weston A Price Foundation, which disperses the work of Weston A. Price, a Harvard trained dentist who studied traditional people groups and contrasted their incredible health with the poor health of those of us “civilized” folks. 🙂
If you’re still not convinced that GMO foods should be avoided at all costs, consider these facts the WAPF presents:
- The only human feeding study on GMOs ever conducted showed that genes “jumped” from GM soy into the DNA of human intestinal bacteria and continued to function. That means that long after you stop eating GM soy, you may still have GM proteins produced continuously inside of you. (What if the pesticide-producing “Bt” gene found in GM corn chips were also to jump? It might transform our intestinal flora into living pesticide factories—possibly for the long term.)
- Most offspring of mother rats fed GM soy died within three weeks (compared to a 10 percent death rate in the non-GM soy group). Similarly, when a lab switched to rat feed with GM soy, most of the offspring at the facility died within two weeks.
- Studies with mice also show reproductive problems. Mice fed GM soy had altered sperm cells and the DNA of their embryos acted differently.
- Hundreds of farm workers complain of allergic reactions when touching GM cotton.
- After sheep grazed on GM cotton plants after harvest, about one in four died; about 10,000 deaths in one region in India.
- Farmers on three continents say their livestock became sterile, sick or died, after eating GM corn varieties.
If the thought of genetically modified proteins and pesticides “jumping” inside of you and populating your gut flora doesn’t give you the heebie jeebies and help you get over your excuses of not eating organic real fast, then I truly don’t know what will!
Now let’s wrap up our discussion with a list of the top 10 GMO foods, and how to avoid serving them for dinner:
Top 10 GMO Foods and Crops: (taken from the Weston A Price Foundation)
- Hawaiian papaya
- A small amount of zucchini and yellow crook neck squash
- GMO sweetener aspartame. Aspartame is created in part by GM microorganisms. It is also referred to as NutraSweet and Equal and is found in over 6000 products, including soft drinks, gum, candy, desserts and mixes, yogurt, tabletop sweeteners, and some pharmaceuticals such as vitamins and sugar-free cough drops.
- Animal products: Meat, dairy products, farmed fish and eggs are usually from animals fed GM feed.
- Honey and bee pollen may have been gathered from GM plants. In fact, a small percentage of the alfalfa in the US is GM, but plantings were stopped by a court order in 2007.
- There are many additives, enzymes, flavorings, and processing agents that are used in food and which are produced by GM bacteria, yeast or fungi.
It’s important to remember that nearly 90% of non organic, processed foods contain some component of corn or soy, or an oil like canola or cotton seed. This is the major offender for our GMO consumption. So just remember that the next time you are tempted by a processed food or baked good! (Just make your own when you want a treat) 🙂
Truly, the only way to avoid GMO foods 100% of the time is to buy organic foods, and ones that are USDA certified AND third party certified are the absolute best. Actually, the absolute best is the organic and local foods you consume from your own organic backyard garden, or your local organic farmer. If you don’t have this option in your local area, (see www.eatwild.com and www.localharvest.org for a listing of what may be near you), then companies like Beyond Organic are able to fill a huge gap.
I know the state of our food supply can seem overwhelming, and the thought of eating 100% organic sounds crazy, but it truly is the only way to avoid GMO’s. And aren’t you worth it? I say you are. Look for solutions and ways you can eat organic, instead of shutting down your mind with excuses like, “I can’t afford it. I don’t have access to it. I don’t have time,” etc.
If I had used all these excuses, and let them keep me from moving forward when I was so sick, I’d probably be still in bed, Lord knows where with my health, and certainly not writing this to you today! Get over your excuses. You can do it, and it’s a great time of year to make a change 🙂
I hope this article series has helped you and your family. Keep these frankenfoods OFF of your family’s table, and your health will thank you for years to come! Remember, as Jordan Rubin says, “You can pay the Farmer now, or the Doctor later!”
With much love,